Sunday, April 15, 2012

Collegiate Events

This past semester Collegiate was once again invited to sing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in Music and the Spoken word. We were also invited to sing at the President's Club banquet in Salt Lake. Also, we participated in the sacred music tour. We also held a high school invitational where we invited four or so different high schools to participate in workshops and sing in concert with us. It was a big semester!

I'll try to keep it brief...High school invitationals are always fun because youth are so fun (or bratty--it seems like you always get one or the other. haha)! I enjoyed talking with them and telling them about the college and music program. Also singing with them and hearing them sing was a wonderful occasion. Perhaps the high-light of the whole thing was after the concert I happened to run into the conductor of one of the choirs. This particular choir had been AMAZING! They really reminded me of my own high school choir back at home. I mean, they were good! So, I told him that he did an excellent job with his choir and that he should be proud of his work with them. He looked very familiar to me, but I thought that was only because he had a face that resembled someone else I knew. But then he told me he recognized me too...After a while we figured out that he had been my bus driver when I took the church history trip I had taken back in high school! Wow! I had been one of 30 or so teenagers on his bus years ago, and he remembered me. I then realized that I did not recognize him because it appeared he had lost some weight. He did really look different. I am still blown away that it is such a small world!

Now the sacred music tour project was once again successful. This is a production that the university does  every two years. They ask a composer years in advance to compose an orotorio. Then the combined choirs usually go on a short tour and perform the whole thing with the orchestra. It has been a beautiful experience in the past. This time was no different. Except for the fact that I had trouble standing for so long being pregnant. In one of our dress rehearsals in the I-center we were doing a full run through for the cameras so they had editing material if something went wrong the night of the performance. I actually felt like I had to sit down or I was going to faint! That is a new thing for me. But I waited until I felt the cameras were pointed some place else and then sat down. It was just a little frightening. But I was just fine for all the other performances.

We ended up touring in the tabernacle on temple square. We had a full audience and Elder Ballard came! He was probably in the best seat of the house--right in the middle. After the performance as the women were filling into the tunnels, it was announced that he was in the tunnel conversing with some of the girls. The tunnel was so clogged, so I did not get to see him, but apparently he told us that we did a wonderful job and thank you. Then he rode away in a golf cart. I thought it was so sweet that though it was the end of the day and he must have been tired, he still took the time to congratulate us.

Singing at the President's Club Banquet is always a pleasure for me. Again, President Eyring was there with his wife, son, and his wife. While we sang, I was touched with how President Eyring made sure he got to see every single face. He was so engaged and attentive to what we were singing. I am not used to SUCH a captive audience! It was very sweet and humbling. As always, I felt the spirit when we walked in the room.

Apostles and prophets are people just like you and I. They are human and have human personalities. But they definitely wear the mantel of their calling. It shows.

Singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was also a pleasure. We were able to sing a few numbers with them and a few of our own. Here we were, undergraduates, and we got to sing with one of the best choirs in the world! Again, I was amazed at the lightness of their voices and how well they blended! Amazing. They were very complimentary of us, telling us how we sang better or just as well as other choirs that came to sing with them. They commented on our intonation and power. It was very nice of them. They were also very chatty and genuinely seemed interested in our places of origin. They also were so kind and had prepared a basket of cookies for us to eat. So sweet!

After the performance I had the opportunity to meet with my uncle and grandma. It again seemed weird that Grandpa was not with us. We had a few hours to chat and take pictures. Though we didn't really get to DO anything I was grateful because I have hardly ever had one-on-one time with my Grandma. When making Salt Lake visits I have usually been with family members, and now, a spouse!

So that is it in a nutshell! It is sad to realize this has been my last semester in collegiate (next semester I have to take a class during the collegiate class time)! I am going to miss it very much. Collegiate has been a family away from family--full of fun laughter, support, and many opportunities to develop a stronger testimony. During my time in the choir I have been able to form bonds and friendships that would not have been made otherwise. I also would not have learned so much about music! I am going to miss it very much.

But even though I will not be in it next semester, I know I am still part of the collegiate "family." Truly, I am Never Alone!

No comments: